Awning Care Guide
Adding a retractable awning to your deck, patio, or porch can greatly enhance the use and enjoyment that you get out of your outdoor living space. But to ensure that you get the best level of return on your investment, a certain degree of care is required.
Retractable awnings, although low maintenance, should be rinsed off once a month and given a good cleaning at least once a year to ensure they remain looking and functioning their best for years to come.
Cleaning your retractable awning
Other maintenance tips
Looking to buy a retractable awning?
- Use a broom to gently remove any debris from your awning, working your way from the bottom to the top
- Using soapy water (with mild or natural soap) and a soft cloth, wipe down the frame
- Rinse awning thoroughly to remove soap. (Any soap left behind can leave a visible residue)
- Allow the awning to dry completely before you retract it
- Keep vegetation such as vines and shrubs well-trimmed and away from your awning
- Retract awning during severe weather such as strong winds and heavy snow or rain
- Avoid allowing solid debris such as leaves and twigs to get retracted with the awning
- Ensure that fabric falls from the top of the roller tube and not the bottom
- Lubricate moving parts once a year per the manufacturer’s instructions
If you are looking to purchase a retractable awning, you can do so knowing that they are fairly low-maintenance. If you would like to review your options, the team at Jans Awnings is ready to help you.
Henry installed our awning a few years ago. Great price and excellent customer service. Was having a minor issue today and sent him an email at 6:00pm on Friday afternoon. He called me back within ten minutes and helped me fix the problem over the phone in 2 minutes. Couldn’t ask for better customer service and support. I would highly recommend this company.
Was a pleasure working with the Jan’s team. Professional workmanship and very happy with the final product. Screens are a great additional to our outdoor space.
On the recommendation of a neighbour we contacted Jans Awnings and Rollshutters for a quote on a deck awning. Henry Jans came to our house for a contactless quote. We were happy with the price and chose a fabric. The installers were polite, professional, knowledgeable and efficient. We’re very happy with the results.
Jans Awnings (Woodlawn/Ottawa) does high quality work with high quality products. Great installation, great service. We are so pleased with our retractable screen. An outdoor room…with no mosquitoes!
It was the best experience ever it is our 10th Anniversary owning a product that still functions and performs super well all these years! Keep up the good work to Mr. Jans and I try to forward clients and potential customers every time we see a home that needs a dress up!
Jans does quality work. The owner is hands on and makes sure that the clients are happy. I would recommend them to anyone.
Very pleased with the awning, installation staff did an excellent job removing an old awning and matching vinyl siding that had to be replaced.
Installed my custom awnings on commercial building and they look great.